My Trip To Istanbul

Just yesterday I came back to Moscow from my trip to Istanbul, Turkey. I can not even begin to describe how amazing and beautiful Istanbul is! On Wednesday, around 5pm, I landed in Istanbul and headed to my hotel, the White House Hotel (highly recommend!). Immediately, I fell in love with the cobblestone streets, the carts selling roasted chestnuts and corn, the colourful rug stores, the mosques that can be seen from all over the city, the colourful buildings, and everything else the city had to offer. 
On Thursday, I was able to visit Eyüp Sultan Mosque and Tomb, Pierre Loti's house, and Miniatürk. I also was able to see a beautiful view of the city and the Golden Horn from a terrace at Pierre Loti's house and on a cable car. It was very interesting at the Eyüp Sultan Mosque because, as my tour guide said, when someone goes there and prays for a miracle, they will bring sweets to the mosque if it came true. There was, like the guide had said, a lady walking in the courtyard with a box of candy for everyone that was there. After exiting the mosque, there was also a box of free dates, which we all enjoyed. Miniatürk, one of the biggest miniature parks in the world, was also very fascinating. It almost looked like something you would find in Disneyland! The models are of famous buildings, sites, etc found in Turkey and old Ottoman civilizations. To end the day, when I was back in the hotel room, the hotel staff brought up a surprise complementary gift of fruit, baklava, and orange juice!
The next day, Friday, I started off at Süleymaniye Mosque. It is the second-to-largest mosque located in Moscow. Two of the things my guide had said about this mosque that were quite interesting was that the architecture of this mosque had put, inside the walls, directions on how to replicate the design techniques so that a renovation could be properly made. He knew that in 400 years there would need to be renovation, but by that time the styles and techniques of building mosques would have changed. He made sure that the people renovating would be able to make the mosque look just as it did when it was first built. The other interesting fact the guide said was that hanging with the lights, that are placed low because they used to be oil lamps, are ostrich eggs. This apparently keeps spider webs away! (I'll have to try that in my room!) Next, I went to Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace. Blue Mosque is currently closed to tourists, but I was able to see the outside of it. After walking though these beautiful sites, my tour group went to eat at Omar. After, we went to the Basilica Cistern (which was very fascinating and a bit creepy at the same time). Next, we went to a Turkish rug store. The workers had us go to the third floor, made us drinks, and then they explained why Turkish rugs are so well-known and how they are made. Rug after rug was rolled out onto the floor, one on top of the other, until there was a mountain of rugs in the middle of the roon. The tour ended at the Grand Bazaar, where we all said our goodbyes. After spending pretty much the whole day together (and having all been from America!), we were sad to part. A girl on the tour, Channel, and I made plans to meet up for a dinner cruise later that night though. Once I walked back to the hotel, I got ready and then made my way to her hotel. I had originally wanted to get a driver, but with the her hotel being only about 7 minutes away, I though I would be able to make it (keep in mind I did not have internet outside of the hotel! haha). I did end up making it to the hotel, but only after asking a couple who spoke English for a little help. It worked out for them too though, since they said a Turkish lady had seen they were lost earlier and ended up giving them a little tour of the city. They felt that, for karma's sake, they should do something nice in return. Thanks to their help, I made it to Channel's hotel, where the pick-up for the cruise was. The cruise, lasting from 9pm -12am, was filled with dancers, a three-course meal, and more dancing. At each table, there were flags placed to represent all the different nationalities at that table. The host really focused on everyone just letting go of politics and focusing on the fact that we all live on the same earth. At the end, right before the cruise ended, everyone grabbed their flags and went onto the dance floor for the last song. It was a very fun evening and I am glad I was able to attend.
My last full day in Istanbul was Saturday. I started the day enjoying the rooftop view from the White House Hotel. Around 1pm, I was picked up a taken to the Asian side of Istanbul. The drive was around 45 minutes, which I enjoyed because I got to see quite a lot of Istanbul on the drive. Once meeting up with the guide and two other tourists, we made our way to Ã‡amlica Hill, Istanbul's highest point. From this peak, we could see the Asian and European side of Istanbul, as well as the Bosporus. Next, we drove back to the European side to visit Dolmabahçe Palace. Once we had walked through this beautiful palace, we were taken back to our hotels. I checked in for my flight and booked a driver to pick me up the next morning at 6:30am. 
On Sunday, I had to say goodbye for now to the wonderful city of Istanbul. My time spent in this city is something that I will always remember and cherish. Hopefully, some day in the future, I will be able to go back to Istanbul.
As for the rest of this month, I will be starting exams! My first exam is acting, which is at the end of this month (about two more weeks!). The rest of my exams are also quickly approaching, so I will be quite busy preparing for those. 
Thanks for reading!









 












    


















XOXO,
Louisa

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts